Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Boost Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Success with a Journey Map
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
The long-term success of an association depends, in part, on how successfully it navigates its progress toward diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) — but that’s sometimes easier said than done. Many SmithBucklin client organizations shared their need for guidance and structure around DEI efforts, and as a result, SmithBucklin developed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Journey Map to support DEI-related strategies, initiatives, and conversations.
“We are excited about the Journey Map resource suite, and we think our clients will be too,” said Robin Rone, senior director of diversity, equity, and inclusion at SmithBucklin. “This is another way we can add tangible, measurable value to the DEI journeys of associations.”
What is a Journey Map?
A journey map is a visualization of the process (or steps) that an individual or group navigates to accomplish a goal. SmithBucklin’s new suite of association resources is comprised of a combined Journey Map and Assessment Tool document, a Facilitator’s Guide, and a Glossary of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Terms.
This suite of resources will help associations:
- Understand what is meant by diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Assess and understand the current state of your organization related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Gain insight into a future desired state, and understand the steps to reach it.
- Gain support for embarking upon or continuing the diversity, equity, and inclusion journey.
- Facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion conversations within and among teams and volunteer leadership.
- Develop a diversity, equity, and inclusion-related strategy and goals for your organization.
- Communicate the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion work and progress.
- Establish benchmarks, and track results and effectiveness.
- Define ways to recognize and reward forward momentum and positive outcomes.
“The talented SmithBucklin people who developed the materials have such a wealth of knowledge, expertise, and experience in association management and client service, along with a deep understanding of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion to the mission and success of our client associations,” Rone said. “That expertise and understanding really shines through.”
Contact us to learn more about SmithBucklin’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and the resources we provide our association management client organizations.
Return to Home